This is one of the most common questions we are asked, but you will be surprised at just how painless getting braces on actually is. Your first appointment is as simple as this:
- Your cheeks with be retracted away from your teeth.
- Teeth are dried.
- A liquid agent will be applied to prepare teeth.
- Brackets are placed on with a small amount of dental adhesive.
- A strong light will be used to set adhesive.
- Wires are placed onto brackets with colored elastics of your choice.
After everything is in place, there is usually some mild discomfort that typically subsides within a few days. Most people find the discomfort an inconvenience, but manageable. We typically recommend softer foods for the first few days and it’s nothing that a little ice cream can’t fix!
Braces work by slowly moving the teeth into position using wires. We typically see patients every four to six weeks to continue moving teeth into correct position, which may sometimes cause a little discomfort after each appointment. To be honest, the hardest part of getting braces is deciding what color elastics to choose.