Flossing can be a tricky and complicated task, especially with braces, but we’re here to tell you that flossing with braces is easier than you think! When you first get braces, your orthodontist will talk with you and will give you the flossing tips you need to care for your teeth and braces. Your orthodontist will even give you special flossing tools to make the task easier.
Your flossing technique won’t change much, but it will take more time to floss, which is completely normal and definitely worth it. When you’re ready, you can floss your smile by following these five steps:
1. Thread one end of the floss under the main wire of the braces.
2. Use your thumbs and pointer fingers and gently push the floss between your two teeth.
3. Slide the floss along the sides of each tooth and free any substance that is stuck there. This technique will help you prevent gum disease and tooth decay now and in the future.
4. Pull the floss out from between your teeth and pull one end of the floss to bring it out from underneath the appliance’s wire.
5. Repeat this process between each tooth, but make sure you use a clean section of floss as you move from tooth to tooth.
Flossing with braces is extremely important; in fact, flossing with braces might even be more important than flossing without braces. If you don’t floss while you have braces, the food that gets stuck in your appliance can easily create tooth decay and other major dental problems.
If you have any questions about flossing with braces, we encourage you to call our office today and ask a member of our friendly orthodontic team. We care for you and your smile, and we are more than happy to teach you how to properly floss with braces!